A casual vacancy on the Parish Council occurs when:-
- a local Councillor fails to make his declaration of acceptance of office within the proper time;or
- when his notice of resignation is received; or
- on the day of his death; or
- in the case of a disqualification under the Audit Commission Act or the Local Government Act 2000; or by virtue of a conviction on the day when either the time for appeal or application for relief expires, or such appeal or application is dismissed or abandoned; or
- in the case of an election being declared void; or
- where a person ceases to be qualified, or becomes disqualified for any reason other than conviction or order, or is persistently absent from meetings.
When a casual vacancy occurs due to one of the above reasons the Parish Council will inform the Borough Council and after the Borough Council has advertised to ensured that there will be no election to fill the vacancy, the Parish Council are then able to co opt a candidate onto the Parish Council providing that candidate meets the legal criteria to serve as a Parish Councillor.
Laceby Parish Council currently has 3 Casual Vacancies: